** Please note: 2017 will be the final year for the microFIT program. The IESO will no longer be accepting applications after 2017. Also note that there is a 50MW procurement target for the entire province. Once 50MW of microFIT solar projects have been allotted, no additional contracts will be awarded. Flanagan and Sun strongly recommends that if you are considering a grid tie solar system, you should start the process by this Spring. Please contact us and we would be happy to help you.
Overview of microFIT
- All of the solar generation is put directly into the electrical grid
- Solar energy is purchased by the government through the local utility company at a premium rate
What You Can Expect from a 10kW microFIT System
- Total cost (including installation, utilities fees, building permit, ESA permit, electrician’s fees, engineering) typically between $25,000 and $28,000.
- Annual expected income for a south-facing, unshaded roof surface is over $3100.
- Typical return on investment is between 5 and 8% per year over the 20 year contract period
Update to microFIT Pricing
As of January 1, 2017, rooftop solar systems up to 6kW will be paid 31.1 cents/kWh and projects between 6kW and 10kW will be paid 28.8 cents/kWh. Click here for a link to the full 2017 price schedule.
The microFIT program is part of the IESO Feed-In-Tariff (FIT) program in Ontario. This program provides incentive for community groups, businesses and individuals to develop small-scale renewable energy projects in Ontario. The IESO enters into a 20 year contract with project owners, paying owners a fixed price for the electricity they produce and sell to Ontario’s power grid.
To see if you are eligible to participate in the microFIT program, click on the following link (opens a pdf document):
Flanagan and Sun – microFIT – Peterborough and the Kawarthas. For more information, contact us today!